MUA & Alexandra Burke: Lip Boom

MUA Lip Booms £3*

Well who would have thought… Alexandra Burke making lipsticks!

Last week I went along to the launch of the new Lip Booms, created by MUA and Alexandra Burke. (For anyone who’s reading this outside of the UK, Alexandra Burke won the X-Factor in 2008).

The Lip Booms are a duo lip product with a matte lipstick on one end and a highlighting lip gloss on the other. You can either use the separate products on their own or use the lip gloss on top of the lipstick, in the centre of the lips for a 3d, fuller lip look. The 8 shades are named after Alexandra’s ‘famous’ catchphrases, including one all you X-Factor watchers will remember… ‘Ok.com’. The bottom of the lipstick twists off so you have yourself a little pot of lipstick… I can’t for the life of me figure out the point of this. If I ever find out, I’ll let you know!

So what do I think? Well let’s start by saying, they’re £3, so my expectations weren’t that high and I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed if they weren’t amazing. The lipsticks are matte, so can be quite drying. I found 3 of them really nice; ‘OMG’, ‘Bring It’ and ‘Doin It’, but didn’t get on well with the others. The lip gloss really does create a 3D effect, but the texture is far too gritty. I wouldn’t recommend using it on it’s own and also, BEWARE… you won’t be able to get glitter off your face for at least 24 hours after using it. BIG mistake testing these out on a Sunday morning…

I’d recommend using these on a night out, when you can pile on the lip product, look great, but not necessarily care how your lips feel. They do look good and I think they achieve what they’re supposed to.

The Lip Booms will be available from Superdrug from 9th May for £3.

What do you think of these duo lip products? Is this something you’d be interested in trying?

1. Becky says:

The lippies look rather good for £3, personally I quite enjoy the matte lip at the moment I am not too sure however I would be a fan of the glosses. Lips and glitter really isn’t my thing but I will be interested to test these in store and see what they are like in reality but the swatches look pretty darn pigmented.

Becky

2. Farzana says:

Not really into MUA really…the eyeshadows are good though!

3. Summer says:

The glitterness doesn’t really appeal to me, but I think I might have to buy ‘Doin good’ and ‘Omg; because I love the look of the colours!

4. OK.com, Vibe & OMG look lovely ! Cant wait to try them out :) xo

5. Victoria says:

love the two dark purples, been waiting for mua to bring out a dark shade!

6. Beth says:

ooh omg looks pretty xx

7. Radhika says:

They look good, but like you said we shouldn’t expect much from MUA, its a cheaper drugstore brand.. the concept is good, maybe a higher end will copy the idea and start bringing some out like these. ‘OMG’ looks really nice though!

I will definatley try them when they are, for the sake of £3 I might be surprised with the texture!

Radhika

8. ButterflEyes says:

I’m not sure I would use the highlighter end but the matte lipsticks come in very pretty colours ! xx

butterfleyesblog.blogspot.com

9. Florence says:

I’m really not sure about these… I don’t even think I really like the idea of them haha! The colours of the lipsticks seem quite nice but with some gritty glitter on top I’m really not sure. Alexandra Burke actually puts me off buying them even more for some reason (soz Alex) x

themusingsofflorence.blogspot.co.uk/

10. MrAJBx3 says:

I need these so much haha! <3 purple lipstick gorgeous!!!

11. Ally says:

For £3, definitely going to give them a go. I like the deeper shades: especially Bring It.

Ally
    x

12. Chrissy says:

I like the idea of these and “OMG” and “Bring It” look really pretty in your swatch photo, but the packaging of these just looks so incredibly tacky!

13. Kate says:

These look like some nice colours! x

14. They look great i have to try them
    x

15. I really ,like the colour doing good and bring it!

16. I love the look of LMK, Doing Good and It´s a Situation :) Not sure about the glitter though :)
    We don´t have MUA in Finland :/
    hugs

17. They look alright, not bad for £3 I suppose. Genuinely don’t understand what the little pot of lipstick is for either, very odd haha xo